The Law Office of Rajeh A Saadeh LLC
Serving All Of New Jersey
Powerful Advocacy | Client-Focused Solutions
Call Now

Sophisticated Counsel. Smart Strategies.

Parent Relocation

When parents divorce or split up, they may literally go their separate ways. However, a custodial parent cannot simply move the children out of state. The other parent must be notified and give consent or the court must authorize the move.

This is one of the most contentious issues in family law. Whether you are seeking relocation or objecting to it, you will need strong and savvy legal representation. You can count on The Law Office of Rajeh A. Saadeh, L.L.C., to forcefully advocate for you and your parental rights.

Relocation dispute? Get proactive.
Our lawyer can get started today on this urgent and important matter. Arrange a consultation.

Relocation of custody (parent relocation) is not straightforward. On the one hand, the law favors the relocating parent and his or her constitutional right to live anywhere. But the New Jersey courts have ruled that the parent must have a good faith reason for moving with a child, and it must not contradict the child’s best interests, including the child’s meaningful relationship with the noncustodial parent.

Attorney Rajeh A. Saadeh has experience resolving and litigating custody relocation disputes. He can represent you in a family court hearing if the move is contested.

  • If you are the parent relocating, we can help you show justification such as new employment, better opportunities for your child or moving “back home” to a family support network.
  • If you are the objecting parent, we can help you show that your relationship with your child would be undermined, that your child’s interests would not be served or that the custodial parent has spiteful or selfish motives.

If the court authorizes the move, it will still be necessary to amend the custody agreement and parenting plan. We can represent you in these negotiations. For example, it may be appropriate to reduce child support or subsidize the noncustodial parent’s travel expenses or to grant the child additional visitation during holidays and summer vacation.

Under a true shared parenting arrangement (50/50 time with each parent), parent relocation requires an actual change of custody — a full-scale custody trial.

Protect Your Parenting Rights And Your Child’s Interests

To arrange a consultation with Rajeh A. Saadeh, call 908-396-8330 or reach us through our online form. We practice in all jurisdictions of New Jersey, including Middlesex County, Somerset County, Hunterdon County, Morris County, Union County and Mercer County.